Yup. My neighbors have a small family of raccoons living in their chimney. I first noticed them one night while I was grilling with my girl.
I was sitting on the deck, glass of wine in hand, gazing at the sky though the trees at dusk. So pretty! And then movement caught my eye. What? Can it be..?
I asked my GILM (Girl I'd Like to Marry) if I was possibly hallucinating...or were there actually raccoons coming out of the top of the chimney?
Turns out: raccoons emerging like fat furry hats from the chimney.
Here is their routine:
- near dusk, emerge and sit atop chimney
- groom and scratch as it gets darker
- amble off chimney and trundle across roof
- shimmy down roof to garage, cross garage to stand of young trees
- climb tree to fence and prepare to jump on storage shed
- Oh look! Storage shed has Oreo cookies and other treats on it.
- gobble up treats
- wash hands in small bowl
- touch a lot of stuff repeatedly
- scamper off
If sister or brother shows up while eating: sit on food. If sibling attempts to eat, shove them away with your butt and back them slowly off the shed. Gobble up remaining food. Feel zero guilt.